Review: The Siren by Kiera Cass

Title: The Siren
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Collins 
Publication Date: January 26th 2016
Part of A Series?: Standalone
I Got A Copy Through:  Harper Collins India


Blurb Description: Kahlen is a Siren, bound to serve the Ocean by luring humans to watery graves with her voice, which is deadly to any human who hears it. Akinli is human—a kind, handsome boy who's everything Kahlen ever dreamed of. Falling in love puts them both in danger . . . but Kahlen can't bear to stay away. Will she risk everything to follow her heart?


The first time I picked up a Kiera Cass book, it was May 5th 2015, on a flight to Hong Kong as a detour to get to Australia. I finished The Selection in the middle of the airport, and I stopped walking. Because what had just happened? I wanted (needed) to know what was going to happen next.

I bought The Elite and The One via Kindle just a few minutes later, and we were good to go! I then spent the rest of the day at the airport reading The Elite and spent the night in the flight reading The One. As soon as I got off at Brisbane, I ran into the bookstore, bought The Heir and gobbled that down on the car ride to Gold Coast. 

Now that you know my sleep deprived, I-read-a-series-in-a day-and-have-no-opinions about it because whoosh story, let me start with The Siren.

“Silence. I ought to be used to that by now.”

Kahlen is a siren. A mythical creature we hear about only in horror stories or Ice Age, Sirens have beauty beyond measure, and their voices make anyone jump into the Ocean. Sirens, however, were human at one point. And they have a deal with the Ocean. One hundred years in service to Her and they’ll be returned to the world, human once more.
What did I expect? The Little Mermaid turned deadly.

What did I get? Three Mute Beautiful Girls who have a freaky Ocean as a Mother and live on land with unlimited money and sink one ship per year.

Don’t get me wrong, The Siren was a good book, just not ALL that it could have been. I would have loved more Akinli and Kahlen scenes. YES, they’re soulmates, but don’t you need more than two days to fall in love with each other? I would have loved less moping (which I can understand because they just killed 200 or so people) but the whole advice-imparting or monologues about life that Kahlen sprouted into were just a waste of my time. I LOVED the sisterhood, and the fact that there was an Indian sister (although her culture wasn’t explored enough.)

I think my favourite character was Aisling, a Siren sister who was just SO MOVING! She was AMAZING, and I loved every precious minute I had with her.

Points For: AISLING, diversity, the sisterhood, Akinli, cakes, Akinli’s awesome family
Points Against: The CREEPY Ocean, Kahlen’s random sprouts of ‘deep thought’, too little Akinli and Kahlen. Oh. CREEPY OCEAN. 


No comments:

Post a Comment