An Adorable Graphic Novel // REVIEW: Uncool: Fights. Camera. Action by Jane De Suza

Title: Uncool: Fights. Camera. Action!
Author: Jane De Souza
Publication Date: June 15th 2018
Publisher: HarperCollins India
Part of a Series?: Yes, Book 1 of the Uncool series
I Got A Copy Through: HarperCollins India (THANK YOU!)
Buy Links: Amazon IN || Infibeam || Flipkart
Blurb Description: So, I’m DD and I’m going to be rich and famous because I’m making a film on (hold the phone still, will ya?) high school life. All the secrets, fights, crazy exam pressure, brainiacs and show offs (not you, not you!). Only, everyone wants to be the star (hey you, get out off the frame!). It’s got drama and hysterics, historics, sorry, histrionics. And my mom’s got Mr Horns. And I still haven’t got a boyfriend or a dog. And then, the lurker appears. And it all gets super scary. And he’s coming closer – so I’ve gotta run. Fast. Bye! See ya inside! The first book of the bitingly funny UNCOOL series – a rib-tickling tackling of teen issues!
THINGS I LOVED ABOUT THIS BOOK AT FIRST SIGHT:

A)     A BROWN GIRL ON THE COVER

B)      AN AMBITIOUS, HILARIOUS, BROWN TEENAGER ON THE COVER

C)      THE FACT THAT UNDER THE COVER, INSIDE THIS BOOK, THERE WERE GOING TO BE A TON OF ILLUSTRATIONS

D)     CAN WE PLEASE JUST APPRECIATE THAT WE HAVE BROWN PEOPLE ON COVERS? THANK YOU.

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT THIS BOOK AFTER READING IT:

A)     DD: DD is an absolutely amazing main character. At thirteen, and at the start to her teens, I loved the drama, her slight naivety, her clear and slightly snarky way of looking at the world and the fact that she was so self-confident and ambitious. She was a hilarious narrator, especially as she spoke about her sister and mother and I honestly wish I had her spunk and talent when I was her age.


B)      THE ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations in this book really brought it all together! I LOVED the Holiday Checklist, the Comparison of Heels and A Guide to Silly Ramp Walks. They all made me smile, and just the small touches to each page by Tasneem Amiruddin were so well thought out and executed!

And that’s it, you know. I don’t want to bore you by droning on for forever, but this book was a quick, cute, diverse read that made me smile and shake my head in adoration.

Definitely a recommended read for the Indian pre-teen to teen age group! 4.5 stars. 

Image result for jane de suza
Jane De Suza is a leading humour writer and columnist. Her books, which have a habit of hitting bestseller charts, include the SuperZero series for kids, Happily Never After and The Spy who lost her Head. She is a management grad, storyteller, advertising Creative Director and now lives between India and Singapore, which is definitely uncool (being 1 degree North of the Equator).

What are some of your favourite graphic novels?
Have you been seeing more representation on book covers in recent years? What #DiverseBook cover are you most in love with?!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment