Eloquent Writing In A Harsh World // REVIEW: Sky In The Deep by Adrienne Young

Title: Sky In Th Deep
Author: Adrienne Young
Publication Date: April 24th 2018
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Part of a Series?: No, A Standalone
I Got A Copy Through: I bought it!
Buy Links: Amazon US || Barnes and Noble || Wordery || Books A Million || Chapters Indigo ||
Blurb Description: OND ELDR. BREATHE FIRE.
Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan. Her life is brutal but simple: fight and survive. Until the day she sees the impossible on the battlefield — her brother, fighting with the enemy — the brother she watched die five years ago.
Faced with her brother's betrayal, she must survive the winter in the mountains with the Riki, in a village where every neighbor is an enemy, every battle scar possibly one she delivered. But when the Riki village is raided by a ruthless clan thought to be a legend, Eelyn is even more desperate to get back to her beloved family.
She is given no choice but to trust Fiske, her brother’s friend, who sees her as a threat. They must do the impossible: unite the clans to fight together, or risk being slaughtered one by one. Driven by a love for her clan and her growing love for Fiske, Eelyn must confront her own definition of loyalty and family while daring to put her faith in the people she’s spent her life hating.
SO THIS BOOK WAS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST HYPED OF 2018 THAT I KNEW I WOULD HAVE TO READ THE MINUTE I HEARD ABOUT. Compared to Vikings and Wonderwoman with that gorgeous dark cover and the promise of a forbidden romance?

HOW ABSOLUTELY BREATH-TAKING DOES THAT SOUND?

And, from all the hype around the internet and the hype I created for myself, I DIDN’T END UP LOVING IT AS MUCH AS I HOPED I WOULD.

Not that I didn’t like it, because I did. The book was powerful in a lot of ways and the romance was enjoyable, but I just felt removed/ didn’t connect with the book as much as I wished I would.
I guess, in a nutshell, I was hoping this book would be a new favourite, but it turned out that it was just one of the many.

THINGS I LIKED:

1.       THE COVER: Yes, hello, please let’s talk about that MARVEL of a cover that caught my eye and ‘Breathe Fire,’ and if that isn’t the COOLEST THING EVER, I don’t know what is.
hasn’t let it go till date. Also, there’s an inscription when you open the dust jacket of the book that says

2.       THE WRITING: Even as a debut author, Adrienne Young had this unique way of storytelling and her writing was poignant as she wrote about a harsh world and, well, I really loved it. I read her book in just three days and I can’t wait for the next one.

3.       THE RIKI: I actually fell in love with certain members of the rival to Eelyn’s clan, the Riki, namely Inge, Fiske and Halvard. I wish we saw more of Runa, Kerling and Gyda and ESPECIALLY Iri, but I did love the Riki.

THINGS I WISH HAD BEEN BETTER: 

1.       IRI: A brother our main character thought was dead because SHE LET HIM GO during war is REALLY ALIVE AND LIVING WITH A RIVAL CLAN? I felt like this was such a brilliant part to the storyline and yet, I saw nothing of Iri and Eelyn reconnecting or even being siblings. All I got in the end was a measly line of about how ‘it would have to be worked on’ and I was honestly QUITE DISAPPOINTED.

2.       REALLY, I DON’T KNOW WHAT ELSE BUT STILL: Like I said before, there was something that stopped me from FALLING IN LOVE that I can’t name till date. It just didn’t get my fangirl side fangirling or my hopes raised.

Will I read more from Adrienne Young? DEFINITELY.


An enjoyable read with poignant writing in a harsh world + a forbidden romance. I’d definitely recommend it, even though it wasn’t the BEST fantasy I’ve read. 
Adrienne  Young
Adrienne Young is a born and bred Texan turned California girl. She is a foodie with a deep love of history and travel and a shameless addiction to coffee. When she’s not writing, you can find her on her yoga mat, scouring antique fairs for old books, sipping wine over long dinners, or disappearing into her favorite art museums. She lives with her documentary filmmaker husband and their four little wildlings beneath the West Coast sun.

For information on release, appearances, ARCs, giveaways, and exclusive content, sign up for the newsletter at https://adrienneyoungbooks.com/
Instagram: @adrienneyoungbooks
Twitter: @adriennebooks
What are some of your most anticipated 2018 releases?
(Sky In The Deep was one of mine, and I'd love to hear yours!)
Have you read this book? What did you think of it?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment