Let's Fangirl: Mirror In The Sky by Aditi Khorana

Title: Mirror In The Sky
Author: Aditi Khorana
Publication Date: 21st June 2016
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin Teen)
Part of a Series?: No, Standalone
I Got A Copy Through: ARC via the author (THANKS ADITI!)
Buy Links: 
Blurb Description: For Tara Krishnan, navigating Brierly, the academically rigorous prep school she attends on scholarship, feels overwhelming and impossible. Her junior year begins in the wake of a startling discovery: A message from an alternate Earth, light years away, is intercepted by NASA. This means that on another planet, there is another version of Tara, a Tara who could be living better, burning brighter, because of tiny differences in her choices. 
As the world lights up with the knowledge of Terra Nova, the mirror planet, Tara’s life on Earth begins to change. At first, small shifts happen, like attention from Nick Osterman, the most popular guy at Brierly, and her mother playing hooky from work to watch the news all day. But eventually those small shifts swell, the discovery of Terra Nova like a black hole, bending all the light around it. 
As a new era of scientific history dawns and Tara's life at Brierly continues its orbit, only one thing is clear: Nothing on Earth--and for Tara--will ever be the same again.

Do you guys remember during my blogaversary, I had over the amazing Aditi Khorana on my blog, for an interview?

Well, after, this EXTREMELY KIND LADY offered to send me an ARC of her debut, Mirror in the Sky, and I just HAD to accept!
“There are endless versions of us and none of us even knows about each other. That’s sort of beautiful.”
Tara Krishnan is the odd girl out at Brierly, her rigorous prep school. Not only is she the scholarship kid, she also has different skin colour – Tara is Indian.

It doesn’t matter, though, that her only friend is going to Argentina and the boy she is in love with loves someone else because Earth itself is changing.

Everything they knew is changing.


For out there, there is another Earth. Another America, another Brierly, another Tara. A parallel universe that they can’t reach, but one that has now been found.

Another life for you to imagine yourself living.

As news of Terra Nova spreads and affects people on Earth in ways you could never even imagine, Tara’s life begins to change as well. The popular crowd becoming her friends, her mother retreating out of Earth and into Terra Nova and Nick Osterman.

It’s a whole different world, so get ready to be amazed.
“I think that’s one of the best things about the discovery of Terra Nova. We go about our lives assuming we know everything we need to know, but there’s no end to the mystery of the world. It’s brought back a feeling of sheer wonder.”
As an Indian, who identifies as an Indian-American purely on the basis of how my mind works, Tara was a character I was REALLY hoping I would connect with. I was hoping she would be someone who would really get me, for the most part. There were a lot of things I could identify with, like wondering what the world(s) had in store for her, problems with her mother, and even wanting to be in with the popular crowd, but she wasn’t all she could have been.

I wish she was stronger and more self-confident but most of all, I wish she wasn’t such a wallflower, content with sitting around and letting everyone else make all of her decisions for her.

I love Aditi Khorana’s writing style. She managed to capture the everyday teenager’s thoughts on the small things without making them seem too overdramatic, but not monotonous as well as the big questions going through everyone’s head. It was a gorgeous interpretation of what a teenager thinks and feels – one of the most accurate I’ve read in a while.

I think some of the ending was beautifully done, so BLOODY REAL it makes me hurt, but some other parts – specifically with her mother was SO RANDOM, I re-read the scene again and again, and I just did not get why where her mother was turned into a war zone.

 Khorana’s emotionally charged writing will leave you craving more, and her characters will stay with you for a while to come. 

What do YOU think about parallel universes? Do you believe they could exist?

What do you think you would be doing in a parallel universe? I can't WAIT to hear your thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment