A Double Serving of ARC Reviews #1

Hi Everyone!
I'm SO sorry I haven't been blogging - my laptop threw all of my documents into a technology black hole and I have nothing left. I've spent a lot of time this last week on recovery softwares, trying to get back some super important college applications, but no luck. I'm giving the laptop away this weekend, so fingers crossed! 

So, to catch up on my reviews, here are three ARC reviews of some amazing books!



Title: Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here
Author: Anna Breslaw
Publication Date: April 19th 2016
Publisher: Razorbill
Part of a Series?: Standalone
I Got A Copy Through: The Publisher via NetGalley

Buy Links: Amazon US
Blurb Description: Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online community of fanfiction writers, world-class nobody at Melville High. Her best (read: only) IRL friends are Avery, a painfully shy and annoyingly attractive bookworm, and Ruth, her weed-smoking, possibly insane seventy-three-year-old neighbor.
When Scarlett’s beloved TV show is canceled and her longtime crush, Gideon, is sucked out of her orbit and into the dark and distant world of Populars, Scarlett turns to the fanfic message boards for comfort. This time, though, her subjects aren’t the swoon-worthy stars of her fave series—they’re the real-life kids from her high school. And if they ever find out what Scarlett truly thinks about them, she’ll be thrust into a situation far more dramatic than anything she’s ever seen on TV… 

General Nonchalance for School Activities (and people?) Check.

Socially Awkward? Check.

Obsessed with that one TV Show that is a way of life, and not just a show? Check.

Some seriously confusing thoughts running through mushy brain? Check.

Also, YES, I’m describing Scarlett Epstein. Well, and me, because as I could not stop gushing about on Twitter, SCARLETT EPSTEIN IS ME. WE ARE ONE. Of mind, body and soul. Like Joey Tribbiani has a Hand Twin, Scarlett is my Attitude Twin.

What is this about, you might ask, because this sounds pretty jaded, and I’m not sure if it’s something I’d like to read?

Let me explain who Scarlett Epstein is, by method of some quotes:
“It is hard to tell whether he is being honest or following the High School Commandment of Thou shalt not show thy uncoolness by openly caring about something, which I have never been good at.”
She is really into all those dating mind-game books: The Rules and Why Men Love Bitches and If You Do Something You Want To Do, You’ll Literally Ruin Your Life.”
“Jack Daniels – the patron saint of boys who try too hard to be men.”
“So this is how it happens. This is how girls change for boys. I am simultaneously annoyed at myself and mildly amazed that I have the ability.”
Scarlett Epstein is a GENIUS, in my book at least. Mostly because I find it really hard to find a character that represents the person I am and not the person I want to be, and Scarlett is who I am now. 

She is (1) a fangirl whose favorite show is going off air, (2) the boy she’s had a crush on who used to be her best friend is turning into a Plastic Popular Kid dating her worst enemy and is now terrorizing fat girls and old ladies, (3) her best friend is going to have sex with her brand new sparkly boyfriend and (4) her dad wrote a book that basically confirms her worst insecurities about herself. 

That’s enough to make anyone go crazy, right?
And me? I LOVE CRAZY.

While I did love the first three quarters of Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here, the book dragged out as it reached the ending. What was an original, sassy and laugh out loud story, completed with an old lady that did weed and refused to say she had great life advice to give out, turned into your usual, garden variety chick flick and it was SO sad to watch something I liked so much turn into that.

It was like Scarlett and everyone along with her changed in a matter of one quarter of a book, and I cannot bring it upon myself to fall in love with it again!

Points For: Scarlett Epstien (3/4 of the book), FANGIRLING, The Fanfiction, Dawn (Mother) and Ruth!

Points Against: Last Quarter of the Book, Scarlett part of fanfiction (UGH), The Father (THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR INSULTING YOUR CHILD LIKE THAT)


A book that I would recommend, with some reservations. 4 stars.

********

Title: Don't Get Caught 
Author: Kurt Dinan
Publication Date: April 1st 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Part of a Series?: No - Standalone!
I Got A Copy Through: The Publisher via NetGalley
Buy Links: Amazon US 
Blurb Description: 10:00 tonight at the water tower. Tell no one. -Chaos Club
When Max receives a mysterious invite from the untraceable, epic prank-pulling Chaos Club, he has to ask: why him? After all, he's Mr. 2.5 GPA, Mr. No Social Life. He's Just Max. And his favorite heist movies have taught him this situation calls for Rule #4: Be suspicious. But it's also his one shot to leave Just Max in the dust...
Yeah, not so much. Max and four fellow students-who also received invites-are standing on the newly defaced water tower when campus security "catches" them. Definitely a setup. And this time, Max has had enough. It's time for Rule #7: Always get payback.
Let the prank war begin.

"It's Heist Rule #1 in any quality film. Don't get Caught.
Heist Rule #2 Be Cool"


Which would bring me to Bookworm Rule #1 Read (Everything!)
Bookworm Rule #2 READ DON'T GET CAUGHT!


And I admit doing that sounded a lot cooler in my head. 

Why should your you read this book, you might ask?

1. IT'S ABOUT A BUNCH OF HIGH SCHOOL MISFITS: 
And books about misfits are my favourite kind. This batch consists of a Jock that doesn't want to be a jock anymore, a girl whose nude photo to her friends boyfriend went viral, the church going goody two shoes, the slacker and Just-Max, the nobody.

Like I said, I love misfits, but these five take the cake. This is because, I'm high school terms, NONE of these people should have ever been friends; none of these people would have been friends if they lived their ordinary lives.

Except Ashville High is not an ordinary place. 

2. ASHVILLE HIGH: 
I know high school sucks and all, but this one was the best. They had experiments sending cameras in balloons to space, a Great Existential Question every Thursday...

3. THE CHAOS CLUB: 
...and coolest of all, for the last forty years, they have had a secret club that makes PIGEONS CRAP ON PEOPLES HEADS, puts COWS on the school roof and jams all the classroom door hinges so nobody can get in to the room on the day of the exam.

And in forty years, they've never been caught. Nobody knows who they are. And everybody wants in. So when our Bunch of Misfits (1) get an invite in only to be humiliated by means of a golden shower, they swear revenge.

I LOVE SECRET SOCIETIES. AND THIS WAS ONE OF THE COOLEST!

4. THE GAME: 
To get back at the club for turning them into the most ridiculed five in the school, they come up with a competition themselves. Each of the five gets to have one prank. The best gets anything he wants. And the loser will face serious repercussions. All while claiming that they Chaos Club.

5. THE PRANKS:
I'm not going to tell you what the pranks were, but I will say that they were THE MOST AMAZINGLY FUNNY and original pranks in the world. I stopped the book multiple times simply admiring the sheer complex simplicity to the pranks. 

6. WHEELER (and everyone else, but mostly Wheeler):
Oh, wait, Wheeler is a person. The slacker, the prankster the practical joker turned well, you have to read it. I love him, his attitude, his wit and everything else.

I hope my six reasons have been enough to convince you that this is a book you NEED to read. Because you do REALLY need to read this. 5 Stars.



*Quotes are subject to my ARC
** I received a copy from the Publisher via NetGalley. All thoughts are entirely my own!

Have you read these two yet? Who is the one bookish character that describes you perfectly? 
Leave me your links and I'll stop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment