Branded by Abi Ketner and Melissa Kalicicki

Authors: Abi Ketner and Melissa Kalicicki
Publication Date: June 2013
Blurb Description: Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best. 
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home. 

Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain. 

Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.

The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me. 
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter. 
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.

My Review: 



It's a hole. A large one. A very very large one. It's where the waste is thrown away- and kept for all eternity; forgotten, shunned, despised. The waste? They're human beings, living in the most inhumane of conditions.

 Branded for a sin they may or may not have committed, they are sentenced to life in a pit: A huge pit where there is no semblance of humanity (wait, I said that!) where there is no mercy and atrocities like rape and murder and terrorism are just a part of the day to day life. It is in this pit, that Lexi Hamilton is sent- branded blue; branded for lust. 

And this is her story- of the pit, of kindness is ugly times, of love in a hated place, of survival in a place where the odds are stacked against you and of family, how even torn apart it's still the strongest part of us.

Branded is definitely a unique concept. I was very intrigued from the get-go. I loved Lexi's strength, how the writers captured all the characters beautifully, the conceptualization of the Pit and the feeling I got that I just hadn't piñon what the future held! 

The beginning was brilliant; simply flawless! Somewhere along the middle, I felt that we lost track of where we were- in a Human Hole designed to kill- and a story on survival became one on forbidden love with Lexi and her guard, Cole, playing house, or something. Cole, rather than Lexi, came of as whiny, too protective and just plain annoying

Rather soon after, the tale picks up again when they're separated and I feel I liked it better that way!! I won't tell you why, but I suppose it's just better that way!

My Verdict:

On the whole, Branded is worth a read, if only for the brilliant concept!! I highly recommend it for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment