Review: The Kiss by Lucy Courtenay

Title: The Kiss
Author: Lucy Courtenay
Publisher: Hachette Children's Group
Publication Date: July 2nd 2015
Part of A Series?: Standalone
I Got A Copy Through: NetGalley

Blurb Description:'Aphrodite kissed a mortal once by the light of this moon, many thousands of years ago. It drove him crazy. The next person that he kissed - boum. The craziness travelled like this from person to person. It travelled through time. Everywhere - boum! Tu comprends?' 'Where did it end up?' I whisper. His lips are on my cheek now. 'It ended with me. And now I am going to pass it to you. You will like that, mermaid?' Imagine the perfect kiss. A legendary kiss that makes people crazy with love. 

Imagine a summer's night, on a moonlit beach in the South of France, as French boy Laurent kisses 16-year-old Delilah after the best chat-up line she's ever heard. BOOM! Delilah is pretty sure the Kiss is fiction, despite her head-spinning holiday fling. But with all the sudden crushes, break-ups and melt-downs happening back at home, the Kiss starts looking a little too real for comfort. If only Delilah could keep track of where it's gone ...Who knew one kiss could cause this much trouble? 

A hilarious rom-com that will delight Geek Girls everywhere!

**MY REVIEW**

I’m usually wary of books like The Kiss- and for what I think is a pretty good reason- they’re simply overdone. I will elaborate by saying that not all teenagers- myself included (at times)- think in that COMPLETELY irrational manner, but we’re a bit (albeit, tiny) more sensible than that. Despite my initial reservations, however, I decided to request The Kiss- mostly because of the Aphrodite lore, and the personal significance that one particular Greek Goddess’s name has to me.

And can I just say, that The Kiss was one of those books that had all the right drama, in all the right places- a funny, quick read, filled with some super cool art and undeniable chemistry- and for the first time in a long time, I was happy that I got over what I can now describe as my stuck-up-ed-ness, and decided to give Lucy Courtenay a try.

I don’t quite know what to say about this book, really- in fear of completely ruining this contemporary genius, but let me try talking about the bits I loved.

1. THE CHEMISTRY- When you get to reading as much and as quickly as I do, the entire concept of chemistry- and not Insta-Love between the characters gets diluted, and surprisingly enough, and to my complete delight, Courtenay was able to portray this love story in believably swoony amounts with the perfect amount of drama and fun!

2       2. THE BEST- FRIEND AND THE ONION- Something about the less glamourous, more reserved best friend and the boy that got away, all winded up with the plan to win him back had this whole realistic feel to it- and I loved every minute of it!

3       3. THE ART- Okay, you’re going to have to read it to get to know what exactly I mean by the art- because even in the book, it’s a surprise to Delilah, and one that even I enjoyed.

And I’m done. That’s as vague and at the same time not- so vague as I can get about a book like The Kiss. All I can say is that if you’re looking for a light, sexy and funny read- this should probably be your next pick!   

No comments:

Post a Comment